The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted each and every aspect of our life and exercise routines have been no exception. Those working from home may find themselves sitting for extended periods. Add to it the household
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted each and every aspect of our life and exercise routines have been no exception. Those working from home may find themselves sitting for extended periods. Add to it the household chores, family disturbances and you may find it more challenging to find time to exercise. The sedentary lifestyle induced by the COVID-19 pandemic may also affect dietary habits, leading to high-calorie consumption that may lead to weight gain. While you might be tempted to skip workouts during these unprecedented times, health officials suggest that exercise is crucial to your physical and mental well-being. Here’s why you must stay active during the present times:
Why is exercise important during the COVID-19 pandemic?
Although exercise is crucial, no matter the circumstance, it is more so during the present times when a stronger immune system is necessary to fight the battle against COVID-19.
- Exercise boosts the immune system:It is a well-proven fact that regular workouts boost one’s immunity. It assists your body to fight off infections and keeps it healthy.
- Exercise may prevent weight gain:Exercise helps burn extra calories that can convert into fat deposits. It also helps shed those extra kilos, giving you a leaner and fitter appearance.
- Exercise reduces stress and anxiety:The mood-enhancing effects of exercise are well-known. It helps reduce stress levels in adults and builds their emotional resilience.
- Exercise improves sleep:Evidently, regular exercise helps improve the sleep quality which in turn keeps you active and productive throughout the day.
Exercise is especially useful for older adults and those with chronic health conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, or heart disease. It also helps improve strength, flexibility, balance, mobility, and cardiovascular health. It also boosts energy and overall well-being.
If you are new to work out and don’t know where to start, here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Take your workout online: Although there’s nothing better than a gym, you can form a routine by taking virtual classes first. From strength training to yoga and even Pilates, there are a variety of workouts designed specifically for those working out from home.
- Join a local sports club: Now that the restrictions on outdoor gathering have been lifted, it’s a good idea to join a sports club. It helps one stay active while indulging in engaging physical activities.
- Go freestyle: If you are not so fond of structured routine, then get creative and build your own workout. Do a mix of star jumps, sit-ups, planks, push ups or burpees, etc. Anything that gets your heart rate high is good enough.
- Go solo outside: Running, walking and cycling are some great exercises to perform solo, and now is the ideal time to do so. Carry a mask but do not keep it on while running as that may disrupt your breathing pattern.
- Join a gym: Getting the technique right is crucial while working out. This is where joining a gym helps. Join one of the best gyms in Saket such as Fitness First, Select Citywalk, and watch yourself transform and get better.
The bottom line: Although it requires consistency and some effort on your part to adjust to a new fitness routine, regular physical exercise can help optimize your health and well-being during the pandemic.