With growing age, the human body goes through wear and tear due to which the body gets affected by different kinds of ailments. However, in today’s times; young adults are suffering from ailments like hypertension,
With growing age, the human body goes through wear and tear due to which the body gets affected by different kinds of ailments. However, in today’s times; young adults are suffering from ailments like hypertension, diabetes, spondylitis, etc. Some of these diseases are hereditary in nature, one of them being spondylitis. It is important to be well-informed about the symptoms, causes, and treatment methodologies for these kinds of common ailments. We have a detailed look at spondylitis, its causes, symptoms, and how you can treat spondylitis.
Spondylitis is also calledosteoarthritis that affects the spine which is frequently used to describe conditions related to spinal degeneration or inflammation. Different types of spondylitis are:
- Cervical spondylitis,
- Lumbar spondylitis, and
- Ankylosing spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis is the most common form of spondylitis which normally caused due to inflammatory back pain. The inflammatory back pain is dueto the inflammation of the spine and/or the pelvis. Such kind of pain normally starts before the age of 45 and the pain eases once you are involved in some activity. If the gravity of the pain increases with each passing day, it can lead to Ankylosing spondylitis.In a nutshell, spondylitis is inflammatory arthritis that can affect the spine and large joints.Spondylitis is more common in men of the age bracket 20~40 years.Some of the most common spondylitis symptoms are
- Pain in the shoulder and/or the arms
- Stiffness in the neck that may lead to constant neck pain
- Back pain, especially in the lower part of the back
- Headache which starts from the pain in the neck
- Pain & stiffness which occurs while walking and reduces over the course of the day
In most cases, the pain caused due to spondylitis will be worse in the morning and right before you go to bed. Though spondylitis was more common with people past the age of 60, many people are observing some of these symptoms at an early age, primarily due to inactive physical lifestyle. It is also commonly seen in people who carry heavy weight on a regular basis.It is advised that you consult a doctor or a physician if you witness these symptoms on a regular basis. Cartilage, soft tissues, and bones in the spine &backbone started bearing age-related wear & tear. The causes of spondylitis are
- Genetic or hereditary transfer
- Obesity and sedentary lifestyle
- Age-related wear & tear
- Bad posture
- Neck or back injury that would have occurred in the past
Now that you are well-informed about the symptoms and causes of spondylitis, let’s have a look at the ways through which you can treat spondylitis. The treatment includes medication, physiotherapy, and surgery(which is recommended in most extreme cases).
- Patients who are suffering from spondylitis are advised to do some form of aerobic activity for at least 20 to 30 minutes a week. By doing this form of activity, stiffness in the bones reduces over a period of time. It also improves cardiovascular health. Patients should avoid putting stress on the injured muscle group.
- Doctors also prescribe anti-inflammatorymedicines since they reduce the intensity of the pain and decrease the inflammation in the affected area.
- Patients should do some form of stretching exercise since it makes the body more flexible.
- Surgery of the affected area in the most extreme cases.
The above methodologies for spondylitis treatment have a major downside i.e. the only focus is on reducing the pain that is caused by spondylitis. They do not address the root-cause of the problem; hence the problem can re-surface in the future as well. A better approach is through the usage of technologically advanced mechanisms for diagnosis & treatment so that the root cause of the problem is addressed and patients can lead a better life. One such effective approach to diagnosis & treatment of spondylitis is called Digital Spine Analysis (DSA) which is pioneered by QI Spine Clinic. Unlike MRI scans and X-Rays, DSA would tell you the exact muscles & structures that are impacted due to spondylitis. Such detailed analysis makes it easy for the doctors at QI Spine Clinic to come up with customized treatment plans for each patient.
Once you have been treated for spondylitis, doctors always recommend patients to lead a healthy lifestyle which is the key to keep such kind of pain at bay.