Cosmetic procedures have continued to gain traction globally as people become aware of the improvements that can be made to their appearance. One procedure that is gaining in popularity and awareness is the ability to
Cosmetic procedures have continued to gain traction globally as people become aware of the improvements that can be made to their appearance. One procedure that is gaining in popularity and awareness is the ability to undergo a hair transplantation which can reverse the signs of male pattern baldness.
Needless to say, where you find demand you will find the opportunity to capitalise on it which has seen a record number of hair treatment clinics open for business. The route to qualification is also much more straightforward than you might think with several clinics and organisations running a series of training programmes which are designed to teach interested individuals all that they need to know to become hair surgeons.
Which brings us on to the point of this article. If you are interested in setting up your own business in the field of cosmetic hair treatment procedures, we are going to detail exactly what you need to know to get started and obtain the required skillset.
Who is a Career in Hair Transplant For?
Figures suggest that 50% of the male population is suffering from a least some form of hair loss. Furthermore, the number of skilled hair surgeons available simply isn’t enough to meet current demand.
A course in hair transplants is suitable for:
- Those looking for a career change who are interested in clinical cosmetic procedures.
- Those looking to improve their current skillset by expanding into another field.
- Those looking to earn an additional income.
- Those looking to secure their futures by improving their prospects.
What Does the Training Course Involve?
As mentioned, there are several organisations who are offering training in hair transplants and each will have their own curriculum, designed to meet the needs of their students.
We find that most organisations offer a range of courses which are designed for different skill levels, with some offering you the ability to become an expert in as little as three weeks.
As a guide, expect to see the following courses offered:
- A 2 day course which is designed to provide you with the basics, improving your knowledge of hair transplant procedures.
- A 5 day course which is designed to provide students with a level of competency that will allow them to begin practising on live patients.
- A 10 day course which further cements the skills and theories taught in the shorter training sessions.
- A 20 day course which teaches you all you need to know about hair transplants, allowing you to begin practicing on your own patients.
Some courses will also include other perks such as accommodation included in the cost of the course fee as well as ongoing support and assistance for a period of 12 months.
What Can I Expect to Learn?
You can expect to come away with in depth knowledge of the hair transplant procedure. The curriculum of the average hair transplant course will include several modules that will provide you with the knowledge you need; taking you from client consultation to aftercare once the procedure has been completed. Some of the modules you will cover include:
- Understanding hair transplant surgery – Essentially the aims and objectives of the procedure as well as the theory of what is involved to facilitate a successful hair transplant.
- Overview of initial consultation – A guide to how to conduct your own consultations to assess whether a patient is suitable for a hair transplant.
- Hairline design theory –The theory necessary to design and construct a new hairline for patients suffering from premature pattern baldness.
- A guide to donor harvesting – Donor harvesting relates to locating a suitable place on the patient’s body to extract useable hair follicles from.
- A guide to incisions – This module teaches students how to create precise incisions, necessary when performing the grafts required to successfully transplant hair.
- A guide to implantations – This module covers the implanting of harvested hair follicles into the required area of the scalp.
- Post-operative care – The aftercare of patients is an important aspect of hair transplant procedures. This module will ensure that your patients receive the necessary aftercare from you in the event of any complications.
As you can see, the course material is extensive and provides a sound basis for commencing your own hair transplants.
Follicular Unit Extraction
FUE is the latest technique in the world of hair transplants and has become considered as the go to method for lasting and effective hair transplantations. The benefit of many hair transplantation courses is that you will learn exactly how to carry out transplants using this methodology.
FUE specifically relates to the way in which hair follicles are extracted from the donor site. Follicular unit extraction involves a unit of 1 to 4 hairs being taken and implanted onto the scalp in the desired location.
In contrast, strip harvesting, the alternative method of transplanting hair involves removing a layer of skin from the donor site and then further dissecting it into smaller pieces before placing them onto the scalp.
On some of the longer training courses, students can expect to be introduced to several advanced techniques which are continuing to pioneer and drive the profession of hair transplantation.
- Full Shave FUE – Where sections of the entire head are shaved in order to facilitate a successful transplantation.
- Half Shave FUE – Where only half the head or half of the donor’s head hair has to be shaved.
- Long Shave FUE – Where the donors head hair can be as long as they like, preferred by patients with longer hair who would rather not shave it.
Consider Becoming a Hair Transplant Surgeon
Hair transplant methodologies could be described as still being in their infancy which means that this cosmetic procedure is a great one to become skilled in. You are unlikely to have a shortage of patients as more and more people become aware of how a simple hair transplant could transform their lives.
If you’re looking for a career change, hair transplant surgery is not a bad field to consider.